Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Egg-y Avocado w/ Sweet Potato


It has been quite the week! My first ever paleo cooking class is tonight (wish me luck), so I have a million things to prepare before all of the people arrive. I still haven't created the recipes for two of the three dishes, so I better get to it. All I know is that I will be wearing my cutest apron because I have learned over the years that looking the part is half the battle! Before I leave you this morning, I wanted to share a high and low moment from this past week. A little reflection on the past week is always a good thing, so here you go:

I have been thinking about my upcoming Avon walk a lot this week. One week from today, I will be walking 40 miles with my mom, Aunt Randi, and the rest of our "flock" to raise awareness for breast cancer. Last year was my first time participating in the Avon walk, and I can't wait for round two. I was doing a training walk on Wednesday, and as I was daydreaming about the walk and thinking about how great it will be, I crossed one of the walking bridges in the esplanade and came across my favorite heart puddle. This puddle is always here, rain or shine. It is always in the shape of a heart, and now it has a perfect autumn outline thanks to the falling trees. 


Switching gears, yesterday's Crossfit class really tested me for the first time. I was struggling with my box jumps during the warm-up and had a feeling I needed to scale down. As I practiced, I was feeling more confident, so I decided to keep the 20-inch box for the WOD. The workout was 18 min AMRAP of 15 box jumps, 12 push presses, and 9 toes to bar (ouch). After my fourth box jump in the very first round, I somehow lost focus and found myself laying on top of the box... for a long time. I took a second to get my bearings and realized that while everyone else was pushing hard, I was laying over the box like roadkill. My arm was scraped and bleeding, and I was totally disoriented because I didn't even know what happened. Christina came over to see if I was alright (thank you!), and I decided all I could do was scale down my box, push through the pain (and embarassment), and get back into my WOD. I ended up completing the entire workout and left with a really proud feeling. I think this is exactly what Crossfit is all about. 

   

As for this morning's recipe, the inspiration shout-out goes to Mal. While she is so busy up in Ithaca getting her MBA (and acing every test and winning every case competition...), she still manages to send me pictures of delicious food that help inspire new recipes. She refuses to eat a runny egg, but I will convince her to try this eventually!

Ingredients:
- 1/2 avocado, pitted
- 1 farm fresh egg
- 1 small sweet potato
- Olive oil
- Sea salt & pepper
- Sliced almonds

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Spoon out a little bit of the inside of your avocado to make the whole big enough for your egg
3. Make a foil "boat" for your avocado (see above) so it catches the spillage
4. Crack your egg into the avocado (note: a decent amount of my egg white spilled over into the foil - next time I will use a bigger avocado or scoop more out first)
5. Top with sea salt, pepper, and any other spices/herbs you like and bake for about 15 minutes (watch for desired consistency of the egg)
6. While the eggy avocado is cooking, heat a little olive oil over medium heat and add the chopped sweet potatoes
7. Stir reglularly and toss with sea salt and pepper. When potatoes are softening and getting a golden brown outside, sprinkle a few sliced almonds on top. 
8. When egg is done to your liking, carefully remove the foil boat out of the oven (be careful not to spill it!) and serve with sweet potatoes.



Time to prep for my cooking class! Updates will follow :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment