Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fried Eggs Over Sweet Potatooo Apple Hash

Happy Sunday! Today's post is a perfect fall breakfast. I have a big day ahead that will hopefully include a WOD, yoga, the Boston Local Food Festival (http://bostonlocalfoodfestival.com/), the SOWA market (http://www.sowaopenmarket.com/), and cooking a great dinner. My fridge is nearly empty which doesn't happen too often, so I had to use the last of the food I had which included a sweet potato (I swear it only had a little mold on it...), a honey crisp apple, two eggs from Siena Farms, and a clove of garlic. I decided to make sweet potato apple hash with two fried eggs. 

Up until a month ago, I would never even consider trying a runny yolk. My friends and family can attest to the fact that if I think a food is really gross, not only will I not taste it, but I will make some really offensive faces/noises when other people around me are eating it. Side story - about two years ago, I couldn't stop gagging every time Mal (my best friend) ate rice pudding. I thought it was the most vile dessert ever created. She was positive I would like it (favorite food always had been ice cream) and said the only way I was allowed to try it was if I promised not to create some dramatic vomiting scene if I didn't like it. Against my will, I promised, tried the rice pudding, and then had a fairly unhealthy addition to it for almost two years until I became Paleo :) Last month I reminded myself of this story and tried my first runny yolk after have a very long discussion about the wonders of eggs with my walking buddy Chris on a 6 mile walk around Castle Island. Needless to say, I have a new obsession, and I have been trying to master fried and poached eggs.

Sometimes crazy things happen in the kitchen that aren't part of the plan. Like that time I dropped an entire gallon of milk on our kitchen floor when I was 10 and my mom had to clean milk out of the grout for weeks... still so sorry about that Mom! Other times little miracles can happen out of nowhere. This morning as I was flipping my eggs, a corner got stuck, and after some shimmying and a few curse words, I finally flipped them - into a perfect heart! I promise this was not on purpose and will probably never happen again, but I hope you all enjoy the TLC in this breakfast as much as I did!

Enjoy! xoxo

Ingredients:
- 1 small sweet potato, shredded
- 1 apple, chopped (I used a honey crisp from Siena Farm) - reserve a few slices for decoration
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Sea salt, pepper, & cinnamon
- Two eggs
- Coconut oil

1. Heat a spoonful of coconut oil in a pan
2. Shred your sweet potato (I used a cheese grater, but you can also use your food processor with the shredding attachment)
3. Add the shredded sweet potato and chopped garlic to the pan with your hot coconut oil (love the sizzle!)
4. Sprinkle some sea salt, pepper, and cinnamon over the potato/garlic mixture
5. Stir every couple of minutes and let the sweet potato dry out and cook for 10-15 min until slightly brown
6. Add in the chopped apple and let cook another 5-10 minutes stirring regularly
7. In a separate pan, add a little coconut oil and crack your two eggs
8. When the whites harden up (3-4 min), flip the eggs. Let cook for 1 more minute and you are ready to eat!





2 comments: