Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Paleo Brownies

It is officially Thanksgiving round 2 today! Chris and I have had quite the afternoon tending to the turkey for our paleo potluck feast tonight. My first experience prepping a turkey was certainly an interesting one. I got some much-needed advice from Mom and Aunt Randi beforehand, but nothing could have truly prepared me. I will spare you the gory details, but let's just say I was mortified when I "discovered" the neck hanging out in the inside of the turkey. The only other disaster was when I dropped an entire glass bottle of olive oil on the floor and glass and oil went everywhere. Mom nicknamed me "Helpful Hannah" for a reason, and I have a feeling that will stick with me for a while. The good news is that the floor is cleaned, the house smells amazing, and in about an hour, my first attempt at a (paleo) turkey will be done! I will post the recipe later this week. You all may be detoxing from turkey recipes for now, but there is always next year!

In the meantime, you can check out this recipe inspired by The Wannabe Chef's almond flour brownies with some paleo tweaks. I made these for Thanksgiving with my family. They were definitely a hit, and my non-paleo family members recommended these warm brownies with a scoop of ice cream to pump up the sweetness that they are used to. These brownies are very rich and absolutely will satisfy your sugar/dairy/gluten-free chocolate cravings! 

Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2/3 cup raw organic honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate squares
- 1/2 - 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix almond flour, salt, cocoa powder, and baking powder
3. In a separate bowl, melt the 4 ounces of baking chocolate with the coconut oil
4. While chocolate melts, beat eggs, honey, and vanilla in a separate bowl
5. Slowly add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture. Whisk thoroughly, and make sure to add slowly so the eggs don't start to cook
6. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl as well, and mix completely
7. Fold in walnuts if using nuts
8. Pour the batter into a greased 8x8 pan
9. Bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely, and then slice and serve!

  



2 comments:

  1. YUM! Froze these brownies (after you gave me way too many ;) and they came out of the freezer so fudgey! Just like when they were first made. Hot or cold ~ so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first paleo brownie recipe I tried. I used agave instead of honey and added almonds. Yummm!

    ReplyDelete