Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Warm Winter Paleo Pot Pie

Happy February! It's a new month, so it's time to share my new routine. January was a cold, dreary month, so I needed to switch things up a bit. Working from home can be a challenge at times because there is less motivation to get up early, get in a good workout, and stay on schedule. I am experimenting with a new plan that consists of either a long walk or yoga first thing in the morning and then a stroll to the Five Seventy Market to get a shot of wheatgrass. By the time I get home, I am so energized and ready to start the day - all before 8am. The benefits of wheatgrass are extensive and include:

1. Detoxification
2. Improved thyroid function
3. Lowered blood pressure
4. Weight loss
5. Improving pH in the body
6. Better digestion
7. Oxygen supply
8. Cancer treatment
9. Anti-aging
10. Increased vitamins and nutrients

I don't know about you, but I like the looks of that list. I have been dealing with stomach issues my whole life, and I am hoping this is going to be a nice little addition to my paleo lifestyle for overall health and wellness. The picture above was from my first experience. I got the juice to-go so I could experiment at home (next to the sink just in case it was disgusting). It was actually super fresh and sweet, and the orange slice is a perfect finisher. Now I am hardcore and get the juice at the cafe - they serve it in a shot glass, and it is kind of hysterical to take a shot at 7am, suck on an orange slice, and walk home. It's no tequila and lime, but it sure is doing the trick!

The wheatgrass is great, but it still is winter, and that means we all need a little comfort food. Warming foods are great for you in the coldest months, and this recipe will not disappoint. The recipe was adapted from Paleo Comfort Foods - a great cookbook my mom got me. I made this recipe for ladies night earlier in the week, and it was a big hit. The leftovers are keeping me warm and well-fed, and I will definitely make this again before winter is over. 

I'm off to PaleOMG cooking class #2, and I will post all the great details this weekend!

Warm Winter Paleo Pot Pie Serves 8-10, Prep time: 45 minutes, Cook time 75 minutes

Ingredients:
- 2 cups almond flour (I used Trader Joes almond meal)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt

- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 sweet onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 bunch celery, chopped (about 5 stalks)
- 5 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 2-3 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 lbs. poached chicken, cubed
- 2 cups organic vegetable stock
- 1.5 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 2 tsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. pepper

Instructions:
1. Mix the almond flour, olive oil, baking soda, and sea salt in a bowl
2. Roll the mixture on wax paper (I ended up using a rubber spatula and then my fingers - much easier) - you want it to be the size of whatever casserole dish you are making
3. Cover the crust with another piece of wax paper and refrigerate while you prep the rest of the dish
4. Heat olive oil over medium heat
5. Add onions and garlic and cook for 5-10 minutes until soft
6. Add mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes
7. Add carrots, celery, and broccoli, and cook another 10 minutes
8. Add stock, parsley, and pepper, and stir well
9. Add coconut flour and cook on low for 10 minutes
10. Pour mixture into a casserole dish 
11. Top with the crust (not as easy as it looks - used my fingers to help quite a bit)
12. Bake for 30 minutes and then let sit for 10 minutes before serving
  
  
  

1 comment: