Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Crockpot Chicken Chili w/ Beets & Kale


While my affair with chicken is on hold for now, I do have a fantastic recipe to share. I had originally dreamt up this beet chili on Valentine's Day, but you may remember that I completely destroyed the beets (and the pot) that they were cooking in. I decided to give it another try using the crockpot to avoid any issues. 

I ate beets for the first time about 6 months ago, and now I can't get enough of them. I even ate slices of a raw beet while I was chopping them, and they were delicious! The texture was like a beautifully crisp apple, and the flavor was so rich. Anything with this much color is good in my book. I experimented with some cumin and paprika in this recipe to give it a little chili flavor. I will try this out again with extra spice and a non-chicken alternative (ground lamb anyone?). Eat your beets for vitamin C, folate, beta-carotene, manganese, potassium, and iron. Not too shabby for a cold winter day!

Crockpot Chicken Chili w/ Beets & Kale: Serves 8-10, Prep time: 30 min, Cook time: 6 hours

Ingredients:
- 2 lb. organic chicken breasts (frozen or fresh)
- 2 sweet onions, chopped
- 2+ Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 3 large beets, peeled & chopped
- 2 14.5oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 qt. organic vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped

Instructions:
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat
2. Add onions and garlic and cook for 10 minutes until soft
3. Pour the cans of tomatoes on the bottom of the crockpot
4. Lay the chicken breasts on top of the tomatoes
5. Cover the chicken with the onions and garlic, and then top with cumin, paprika, and pepper
6. Add the beets on top and then pour the broth over everything
7. Cook in the crockpot for 5 hours on high or 7-8 on low
8. Take the chicken out, shred it, and then return it to the pot
9. Add the chopped kale into the crockpot, cook on low for 10 more minutes, and then serve!

 
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this recipe! I made this today, and it is really good. The beets add a very lovely sweetness. The only thing I changed was that I added the chopped stems with the tomatoes, chicken, beets, stock, and spices at the very beginning, so as not to waste them, and they were soft and inconspicuous by the time the chili was ready.

    ReplyDelete