Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Summer Zucchini Succotash

Over the past few weeks I have been noticing that some of the greens on my carrot plants were turning reddish/brown. I know I am supposed to wait until August to pick my carrots, but I just couldn't resist! I had the most dramatic drumroll, and then I picked my first ever home-grown vegetable. From the picture, you will see that I wasn't exactly blown away by their growth :) I am fairly certain that I will not be winning any farmer-of-the-year awards this year, but for an apartment balcony, I am still chalking this up as a success. I served these carrots as an appetizer for my dinner guests (no, I am not joking), and we had a good laugh. Luckily they still had room for the main course, and we had a great time. I am now working on my patience, watering everything, and trying to wait until August to pick the rest of my goodies! 

Tonight's recipe is a simple summer succotash that I threw together with some beautiful farm-fresh ingredients Mal brought me from the farms in NJ. While I don't typically eat corn anymore, I threw it in in the spirit of eating locally and supporting our Jersey farmers. Try this out, feel free to add/switch some of the veggies, and enjoy it at your next BBQ! 

Summer Zucchini Succotash: Serves 3-4, Prep time: 10 min, Cook time, 15 min

Ingredients:
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 ears of corn, kernels removed
- 2 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper

Instructions:
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat
2. Add zucchini and corn and cook for 10-15 minutes
3. Add tomatoes, italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, and cook 2-3 minutes
4. Bring to a summer BBQ and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment